Thursday, June 14, 2012

A Little Bit About Jack

I thought maybe it was time to give a little update on my firstborn.  Jack is 26 months old and ALL BOY!  The loves of his life are tractors, trucks, trains, and Mama.  I am so happy that I am still in the top 5 :)  Allen and I are having THE BEST TIME watching him grow and learn every single day.  As soon as the boys go down for the night, Allen and I sit in the den and laugh about the things Jack did/said that day.  We never dreamed that raising children would be so hilarious :)

Jack is/was a late talker.  He definitely focused on his motor skills during those early months, but I am amazed at how quickly he is catching up to his peers in the language area.  I feel like he is my little lab rat and I am watching all the things I learned about language development in grad school happen right before my eyes.  His receptive language is fantastic, but his expressive language had a slow start (which taught me a great deal about patience!).  He is still a quiet child, a studier of things, BUT he is becoming more and more verbal and FINALLY talking in short sentences.  This morning at the park he walked up to me with a fist full of weeds and said "I pit ewe fowers, Mama!" (translation: "I pick you flowers, Mama").  Sweet boy :)

We are sort of potty training at our house.  Jack is really interested and is doing GREAT, I'm just now very good with being consistent.  I would say he is about 80% potty trained when we are at home, but when we are away from home, forget it!  I am just now figuring out how to take a 2 year old and a 9 month old out of the house by myself, I'm not even going to try to add in trips to public restrooms!

The terrible two's hit hard at our house in March, but Jack is starting to figure out the whole "obedience thing" and Mama and Daddy are learning the whole "discipline thing".  We say the word obey A LOT at our house right now, but I wasn't sure that Jack really understood.... until 3 days ago.  I said "No No, Witt" and pulled him away from the electrical cords that he is determined to play with these days and a minute later he was going right for them again. Jack got right in Witt's face, pointed his finger at him and said "No, Witt. Obey!"  

A few other favorites of Jack's right now are:  playing with Witt (sometimes), building with his blocks then knocking them down,  a drink of whatever Mama is drinking, ice cream, "nunning" (aka running), and his hat.

1 comment:

Marsha Goodwin said...

Loved your blog about Jack..Can't wait to see him and hear him talking..Gotta get that boy some Ole Miss clothes, though..lol..LY all