Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Cheesy Grins, A Big Boy Haircut, and Other Stuff

Jack has perfected the "cheesy grin".  Anytime I pull out the camera and say "Jack,  CHEESE", this is what I get...

As you can see below, Jack's mullet quickly grew back :)  I was content to just let it keep growing, but of course Allen was all about him getting another haircut.  I became a very very brave women on Saturday morning and I put the boys in charge of haircuts while I stayed in bed.  Allen got Jack up and dressed and left the house before 7 am with instructions from this mama that he was only to have the mullet cut....no length off the top was to be touched!  He followed my directions and my little baby came home a BIG BOY!  It makes him look SO grown up, but it is pretty darn cute.  I think it's a little too short, but I know it grows fast and it will be nice and cool on his little neck for our upcoming beach trip. 
Mullet #2 - prior to haircut #2

Haircut #2 - Such a BIG BOY!

I didn't do a 13 month post, but I just  have to write a few fun things going on with Jack right now at 13 1/2 months old.
  • Jack still isn't using many words to communicate, but he talks constantly in what we call Alien Speak and has hand gestures and lots of intonation while telling you something (or talking to himself).  He is still doing great signing and signs Eat, More, All Done, and we are working on Please.  He shakes his head No when we tell him no or when he doesn't want something.  He also shakes his head no if he is doing something he knows he isn't suppose to do :)
  • Jack is such a boy and LOVES trucks, 4-wheelers and tractors.  He loves to sit in the drivers seat and "drive".  There is a house being built right next to ours and the tractors and dump trucks that were present for a week while they did dirt work provided MANY of hours of entertainment in this household.
  • Jack's little walk gets faster and faster everyday.  He is beginning to climb on all things which makes this Mama very nervous!
  • Mealtimes are becoming interesting at our house, because Jack wants no part in someone feeding him.  He is such a great eater, but will only eat if he can do it himself. We have been practicing with the spoon and fork for the past month, but things get pretty messy when we have things like oatmeal, yogurt, or mac and cheese.  He still loves fruit over anything else (especially blueberries)  and other favorites include cheese, pasta, baked sweet potatoes, peanut butter, and fig newtons.
  • Jack is doing such a great job listening to and understanding directions.  I will ask him to go get a book, and he walks to his room and pulls a book of the bookshelf (or several....or all of them).  I tell him to put his shoes on so we can go outside and he walks to the door, picks up his shoes, and brings them to me.  And my favorite is when I tell Jack is it time for his nap, he walks to his room, points to the sound machine (that he likes to turn on by himself...I think I have an independent child), then walks to his crib to get his paci and bunny.
  • Jack LOVES being outside.  We are loving this weather and almost everyday we stroll, swing, walk up and down the sidewalk and pick up every rock Jack sees, play in the grass, blow bubbles, drive riding toys up and down the driveway, and pick Mama's flowers when she isn't looking :)

And a little paragraph about sweet baby Witt.  His arrival time is sneaking up on me and I am beginning to get a little panicked that I have done NOTHING to prepare for him.  We have moved Jack to the "big boy room" so the nursery is vacant and ready for a new crib and bedding, but I haven't done anything else.  Little Witt will be here in a little over 3 months so it is time to begin preparing!!!  Other than the crib and bedding, there is little we need (so nice having another boy close in age).  I just need to pull stuff out of the attic and organize.  I had my 24 week checkup last week and Witt's heartbeat sounded great, but I did fail my glucose screening (which was a total shock to me...I wasn't even worried about it).  I went back to the doctor this morning for the 3 hour glucose test and just barely passed it.  The good news is, I don't have to cut out all the sugar in my diet, but the reality is, my glucose level is borderline high so I need to be a little more careful with what I eat because it appears my hormones might be getting in the way of producing and or using the insulin I need to break down the sugar I take in.   With that said, no more Saturday morning donuts until Baby Witt is safely in my arms. A few weeks ago I noted that Witt seems a little more laid back "in utero" than Jack was.  I take back those words.  This little boy bounces all around my belly.  I think I'm going to have my hands full in 3 1/2 months :)

No comments: