The Story of Witt's Arrival
(as told by Allen and as told by Terra)
8/14/201111:00 p.m.
Terra is having contractions, but doesn't wake me up.
I actually started having contractions around 8:00, but just thought they were Braxton Hicks. We went to bed around 10:00 and I woke up at 11:00 with what felt like a Braxton Hicks plus cramps. I got up and moved to the couch just thinking I was laying wrong. At 11:30 I started timing them thinking..."This could be it". At 1:00 I was pretty sure I was in labor so I did a load of laundry, packed Jack's bags. Reorganized some stuff around the house, charged the camera...you know, just stuff you do in the middle of the night when you are in labor :)
8/15/2011
2:30 a.m.
Terra wakes me up and we call the doctor. He says we should go ahead and go to the hospital.
I waited until I was contracting every 3-5 minutes before waking Allen up. He was very calm which surprised me! We called Dr. Martin and he said to go ahead and head to the hospital even though I'm not in alot of pain. I had already progressed a good bit when I went to my dr appt the Wednesday before so we didn't want to take any chances of getting to the hospital too late to get an epidural! I told Allen to get up and ready, but not to rush...and rush HE DID NOT. Here I am in labor and my normally very high energy, fast moving husband took his precious time showering, getting dressed, packing a bag, taking the garbage out, ect. We FINALLY left for the hospital at 3:15. (Jack was spending the night with his CC and BigDaddy so I could sleep in the next morning...sleep in I did not, BUT it couldn't have worked out any better because we didn't have to worry about what to do with Jack in the middle of the night!)
5:00 am
After being in triage for an hour and half, nurse says we are staying and Dr sends orders to start pain meds when Terra wants them.
Allen was CONVINCED this was a false alarm and we would be sent home. It wasn't until we were in a room in labor and delivery and they started an IV of fluid that Allen realized we were having a baby that day :)
6:00 am
I quickly head to Shipley's and get donuts for the nurses. Got to keep them happy!
Yes, my hubby is sweet, but the real reason he got 3 dozen donuts for our nurses was to get a room with 2 beds once we had the baby and were put in a real room. He remembered how uncomfortable the couch bed was from last time, so he thought donuts would help him get a real bed... it didn't work :)
7:30 am
Started pitocin.
The IV fluid slowed my contractions down a bit so Dr. Martin decided a little pitocin might get things back on track...it did of course and my nice regular painless contractions became more regular and much stronger (and HURT).
8:15 am
Doc broke water. Epidural on its way. Nurse predicts baby will be here before noon.
Dr. Martin told me I was already at 5 cm and decided to break my water to speed things up even more. I remembered how even more intense contractions get once your water breaks, so I asked if the anesthesiologist could head my way with an epidural (Stat!). :)
9:00 am
Just got epidural! Feeling good!
Just what Allen said...feeling good!
11:45 am
Complete and ready to have a baby! Nurse calls doctor and tells him to head over and head over quickly! Terra starts pushing.
My epidural had stopped working in everything other than my legs. I was in a tremendous amount of pain but the nurse told me that the baby would be here in a matter of minutes and that I could do it. I remember closing my eyes to block everything out and I don't think I opened them until he was born.
11:50 am
Doc is called again and told to hurry. He is pulling into the parking lot.
11:55 am
Wittman Moody Cravens is here! Baby is perfect and Mom did GREAT!
Our sweet baby boy was born! At first, I thought he looked just like Jack, only with a head full of dark hair, but now I don't think they look alike at all other than their eyes. I fed him ( and he was a great eater from the beginning like his big brother) and then our family came back to meet little Witt. Jack wasn't sure what to think...he just wanted to touch his feet :)
1 comment:
So glad that you took the time to document this story!! I was laughing at the different "he said"/"she said" parts!! Too cute!
Post a Comment