Monday, February 6, 2012
Bye Bye Paci
We started off the beginning of 2012 by slowly weaning Jack from his paci. I was determined to have it 100% gone by the time he turned 2. Jack has LOVED his paci for 21 months, so I realized from the beginning that this whole paci removal idea might be tough. The first week of Operation Bye Bye Paci, I hid all the pacis I could find and left only 1 out. The chosen paci then was poked with a needle so there was no longer any suction. When I gave it to Jack during nap time, he tried to suck on it, then pulled it out of his mouth looked at it, then told me it was broke. THEN put it right back in his mouth and laid down to go to sleep. Well, that's not how I thought that would go over. The next week I clipped a tiny sliver off the tip of the paci and pretty much got the exact same response from him. It didn't phase him a bit! It took a month worth of weekly clippings for the paci to finally be short enough that Jack could no longer keep it in his mouth. On Friday I asked him if he was ready to throw his paci away since it was "broke". I have asked him this everyday for the past month and he always tells me "NO!". Well friday was different... He said yes then went and threw it away. Just.like.that! I was sure he didn't understand that he would not get paci at bedtime so I explained it again and again that paci was "gone gone". He was perfectly fine with it! When Allen got home from work, he took him on the promised trip to Wal-mart to pick out a toy since he threw away paci. Of all the toys in Walmart, my child chose Thomas the Train bath toys :-) Bedtime rolled around and I was SURE that's when Jack would panic because paci was "gone gone", but no, my sweet, angelic little boy never asked for paci, never cried, just curled up next to his new bath toys and fell right to sleep :-). It has been 3 days and Jack still hasn't asked for his beloved paci.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
What a big, brave boy!...So proud of you, Jack!...Hope to see you all soon...LY
Post a Comment