Monday, February 7, 2011

Baby Fish

Jack has had a full week of play dates at friend's houses, story time at the library, lunch and playtime at Chickfila, and our first swim class.  Jack loves playing in the bathtub, so I really thought this "Baby Fish" swim class would be something he would love....boy was I wrong!  We decided this would be a good daddy/son activity so Allen was the parent who got in the water with Jack (I didn't even take a bathing suit).  It started out really well...Jack and Daddy played with the ball and splashed around a bit. 




About 10 minutes into the 45 minute class, Jack decided he wanted his Mama, who was sitting on the side of the pool taking pictures of her little fish.  When he realized Daddy wasn't going to take him over to Mama, he had a complete meltdown.  Allen looked over and mouthed, "Walk out!!!"  So I did as I was told and got out of sight.  This resulted in a panicked little boy searching the entire pool for his Mama and getting pretty upset when he couldn't find me.  The remaining 35 minutes Jack looked like this.


I am proud of Allen for not giving in and getting out of the pool.  Jack wasn't scared of the water, he just wanted his Mama.  Next week either I will be getting in the pool or I won't even walk into the pool area with them, so maybe Jack will completely forget that I am there.  I know this is a phase and we will get through it, but it breaks my heart when he is so upset and all he wants is Mama to hold him and I have to walk away.

1 comment:

Marsha Goodwin said...

Both of mine were Mama's babies, so I know how you feel at times...Can't believe he is almost walking..He's such a big boy!..Love your blog and pictures...Love you all!