Wednesday, September 29, 2010

The Bottle

Yesterday we introduced Jack to "the bottle" (of formula, that is).  I am proud that I have made it 6 months without supplementing, but was really hoping I could nurse for an entire year then go straight to cows milk.  I was lying to you and myself last week when I said our new schedule had "greatly increased" my milk supply.  After trying everything to get things to improve, I realized I have been stressing out over it and we just need to go with the flow :)  I have enough breast milk stored up for him to have a bottle a day for about 2 weeks and am going to try to continue nursing in the morning and at bedtime, but Jack will get 1-2 bottles of formula during the day.  Jack has done great with the 2 bottles he has had so far, but it is so funny to watch him take that first drink.....he definitely knows it is not Mama's milk and it takes him a minute to decide it is okay to drink.  Allen decided to "document" the first formula feeding. 


He already has learned that he can get his milk faster from a bottle and this morning he let me know he would rather have a bottle than nurse....hurt my feelings a little. As bummed out as I am about this, Allen is pretty excited....He is already planning a weekend get away for us now that I don't have to have Jack in tow :)

1 comment:

The Warf Stories said...

Girl, I'm so impressed you've made it 6 months! I'm at 4 weeks and whew... wow. I don't know how you do it! We are going to start the "switch" in a few weeks I think - before I go back to work. He's so funny reaching for that bottle in the pic! ha!