Friday, June 3, 2011

Obsessions of a 14 Month Old

Jack turned 14 months old earlier this week (where in the world has the time gone) so I thought I would let you know some of his most recent "obsessions".

  • Tractors - He loves them, gets excited when he sees them, and "rides" every single lawn mower at Home Depot at least 5 times on every trip there (which is often).
  • Trucks - He is definitely a boy and takes after his Uncle Cade and Uncle Kyle when it comes to his love of trucks.  Toy trucks or real trucks, he loves them all!  He even says "du" for truck :)
  • 4-Wheelers - Are you seeing a pattern here?  Anything that goes, he loves it!  Allen and Jack ride the 4- wheeler around the neighborhood almost every afternoon and I think Jack looks forward to it all day!
  • Books - Jack has always liked his books, but it is becoming an obsession (and I love it!).  He has a bookshelf full of books in his room and a basket full in the den.  He will pull 1 book at a time, bring it to you, then back into your lap and have you read it to him (most of the time just the first 2 pages, then he's ready for something different), then he goes for another.  He goes to sleep for his naps with a couple of books in his crib and he "reads" until he falls asleep.  He loves books with animals and tractors (imagine that) and he points to the things he wants you to label.
  • Outside - Jack loves everything outside.  Right now he really gets into helping water the plants.  He has his own watering can and he fills it up with water at the faucet, then goes all over the front flower beds watering (and picking) all the flowers.  I think he has seen Allen and I pick weeds so much that he thinks if it is green, you are suppose to pull it up :)
  • Talking - My quiet child is anything but quiet these days.  His language of choice is what we call "Alien Speak".  We have no idea what the boy is saying, but he says the same phrases over and over and over again.  He likes the sounds z, sh, s, j which makes his language sound a bit like German.  His English and Sign Language are improving also (thank goodness).  He will say Mama when I ask him who I am (my favorite of course), and he labels trucks (du), banana, dog, and he likes to "neigh" for all animals (I guess the horse is his favorite).  He signs "eat, more, drink, all done,  please". He follows directions really well and will point when asked to his nose, ears, head, toes, and belly button.  He also will point to all his family members (mama, daddy, cuba, aunts, uncles, and grandparents) when you ask 'Where is _________?".  This game is a hit when we are around family :)
  • Phones and Remotes - He walks around the house having conversations with someone on his toy phone all day long!  He loves to get his remote and get settled in his chair then point it to the tv and "change" the channel.  Most of the time this is his way of telling his daddy to turn it off Fox News and on Mickey Mouse Clubhouse :)
This age is SO MUCH FUN...I know I say that every month :)  Jack is such a little sponge and I can't get over the things he learns everyday!

I apologize for the lack of pictures on this post.  I haven't had the camera out of the bag since we got home from the beach....I'll work on that this weekend :)

No comments: