When I was a little girl and someone would ask what I wanted to be when I grew up, the answer was always the same... "a wife and mama". After 4 years of college and 2 years of grad school, the 24 year old in me wondered if that dream would ever come true. Most of my friends were married or getting married (or at least had boyfriends) and there I was in Nashville, TN living a fabulous single life with great friends, a good job, and in a fun city, but still so badly wanted to be a wife and mom. God did something then that still surprises me today. He brought Allen to me. Allen had moved to Nashville on a job and got in touch will all us Grenada girls who were in Nashville together. We met one night for dinner in August 2007 and somehow Allen and I were the only ones who showed up on time for dinner. For those of you who don't know, Allen and I have known each other since we were 5 years old. So during this dinner we caught up on the goings on of each others lives and I remember thinking, he definitely has become quite the catch and his girlfriend is lucky to have found such a great guy (yes, he was dating someone at that time). Fast forward a few months and Allen and I were hanging out A LOT! He was single again and I admit I had a little crush, but we had gotten to be such great friends that I hated the thought of messing that up my letting him know how I felt. I had never in my life had a guy friend and I loved having him to talk to. It was so obvious to our "Nashville Family" that we were perfect for each other :) November 9, 2007, Allen and I had gone to a movie and had dinner and we were back at my apartment just talking like we always did. Somehow the topic came up and I can't even remember what was said, but it changed everything. I knew that night that Allen would be my husband. Fast forward 7 months and Allen totally surprised me by asking me to be his wife. Five months later, on November 8, 2008 I married my best friend. The man God had picked for me from the beginning and had told me to wait for. We had talked about having a family from the time we started dating and knew we didn't want to wait to long and in July 2009 we found out we were expecting a precious miracle. We chose not to know if we were having a boy or girl and anxiously waited on "Baby C's" arrival. On March 31, 2010 Allen and I fell in love with each other all over again as we met and fell in love with our sweet baby boy, John Allen Cravens, III. I instantly had EVERYTHING I had ever dreamed of, an amazing husband who I loved so much and a sweet baby who I got to be a mama to. Days are not always "peaches and cream" and I have fights with my husband over mostly silly little things and some big things. There are days when I wonder if all babies cling and cry for no reason and I think it might be better to get dressed, go to work, and let someone take care of Jack. Then I remember the dream I had of being a wife and mom. I think about how lucky I am to have a husband who works so hard to provide for our family so I can be home with Jack. In the middle of one of his little "fits" Jack will turn around and "love on me" with one of his sweet kisses and my heart completely melts and I realize I would not trade places with anyone. I cannot imagine a better husband to share this life with and I am still surprised every single day at how much I love my sweet little boy.
Jack Cravens,
Your daddy and I love you more than words can say. We dreamed of having a sweet baby and we fell in love with you the moment we heard your heartbeat (if not before) months before you were born. The day you were born was a day our lives changed forever. Every single day for the past 365 days has been such a blessing and we are so thankful to have you! Happy Birthday, Sweet Boy!
1 comment:
Love your blog..Keeping up with Jack and all his 'firsts' make my day...Loved your post about your history with Allen...Brought a tear to my eye..You are blessed, all of you, and I am so happy for you all...Love you dearly and I am so blessed to be a part of your family, too...
Post a Comment